The current state of the managed care group

The current state of the managed care group

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Medicare Part C and one man's perspective

While searching for a guest author for our team’s managed care blog, I interviewed my grandfather, whose name is Gilbert Meyer. He his 77 years young, and was looking into purchasing a Medicare part C plan also known as Medicare Plus. Below is his experience of working with Medicare.
“My first attempt at acquiring a Medicare plus plan was unsuccessful. I had called my current Medicare provider, and when I contacted them and then they explained that me that I had to go on-line to shop around for a provider. Well for goodness stake. On-line, what they expect me to have access to a computer? I don’t have that kind of access or knowledge to a computer. That is something that you’ll have to look in for me Jessica. I never had any training, heck I didn’t even have type writer training. I remember when I bought your mutter and Susie their first type writer. I didn’t fiddle with that I thought that’s a job for the girls, because I had to get to Gillings to bring food home for everyone.”
When I asked Gilbert when he called the lady from the Medicare office, if he mentioned the fact that he didn’t have access to a computer to the woman. Gilbert responded, “Yea I did. And she told me that I could use one at the public library. But I don’t go to the public library. I have no money for gas to go anywhere. Yea ya know it’s a shame, a guy works hard ya whole life, helping out others along the way, then when you in a bind, and you think your eligible for the trough, ya are working for, then you find out you are not qualified.”
Q: “How would like to see the Medicare program be changed to help improve your quality and care?” A: “I think the care has been good, I can’t complain they’ve always taken good care of me, and by letting ma stay with me to when I had to go to the hospital. They provide damn good care, those nurses know what they are talking about, and they are pretty too.”
Q: “How would you like to see the Medicare changed to improve individual’s access to healthcare?”  A: “it’s hard to cover expenses because there isn’t enough of the check to cover what I need. But it’s also hard to find a place to go that will cover all of our expenses, and still accept Medicare. Ma had heard of Aurora down in Mequon, that would take patients with special needs like me for a lot cheaper, but it’s too much gas money to drive for every cotton thing. That’s why well just stay at the clinic in West Bend. Feel like anybody is good enough to draw a little blood.”
Q: “Do you think that the cost of Medicare Part C needs to be changed?” A: “haha I would always like it to be less but as long as they can still cover my medications so that they wouldn’t be over 70 dollars that would be good.”
Basically during my interview, I found out that my grandfather knew almost nothing about Medicare Plus package. He did not know where to begin with his search, and because of his limited education, and such the fast pace change of society, I feel like he is one of those older adults who is slipping between the cracks in the Medicare system. After I had him come over to my house to look up different providers on the internet, and started asking him about his health. I found out that there were many discounts that he could now qualify for especially in parts B and D of Medicare, which we were both previously unaware of. My hope is that Medicare customer service has an improved education department at many rural and local hospitals because I feel like there is where they can make the most impact to inform patients about the different opportunities they have at saving money, and getting access, without having to give up the quality care that they are receiving now.   

1 comment:

  1. Please tell him thank you for participating; his story is much like what I imagined for some older adults trying to find their way into Mc Part C or Part D.

    ReplyDelete